Going British

Yesterday I found this cookbook for the very reasonable price of $6, and I just could not pass it up.  I sat on the floor of the bookstore and flipped through the pages...I looked at almost every single page!  Aside from the fish and shellfish dishes (and the dishes that involve livers or kidneys), I found most of the recipes sounded delicious and relatively simple!  Additionally, I was pleased that the book was actually published in London instead of in the States.  It feels more authentic that way.

The book also includes a lot of nice, colorful pictures so you can see what the dish should look like not only at the end but at different stages throughout (and as a visual learner, this is very good!)!!

It's cold outside, and I was eager to try something from my exciting new find.  I turned to the soup section and found the Leek and Potato Soup recipe, and since we had most of the ingredients in the house (the only thing I needed to go out and buy was chicken stock), I decided it was a winner.  It was so easy to prepare, and I think I really enjoyed this soup much better than the last soup I made.  It was much simpler and it just tasted better.

So the first recipe from my new book was delightful, and I look forward to diving into some of the more...unique dishes (Toad in the Hole, anyone?).  And I am super excited about the dessert section - those Brits sure know how to make puddings and custards!

Comments

Unknown said…
OH JULLIIIAAA!!! oh... it's not Julia... it's Lauren...
OH LAUREEENNNN!!!!

-josh :-)
oh my gosh, this cracks me up! I didn't even know there WAS a traditional british cuisine. I visited England in high school and the tour people took us to every other kind of ethnic restaurant so we wouldn't have to eat their own food, LOL!
Lauren said…
Haha that's awesome! Maybe they thought you wouldn't like their food...??
yumm! Let me know how you like it! The only british food I've had was parsnips(haha) and fish and chips. The other food I had in England was Thai and Indian--they are very proud of their ethnic food there!

Popular Posts