Not For the Faint of...Gut?

Just FYI, this post may be TMI for some (if you don't like hearing about sinus related health issues, you fall into the category of the "some").

In the two months since we have moved, I have had the worst ongoing cold/allergy/sinus issues.  Just to give you an idea, here are a few of my many accomplishments these past 2 months:
-Almost single-handedly using five whole boxes of tissues (the big ones, y'all.  I'm about to buy my 7th box.  Because I'm finishing my SIXTH.)
-Experiencing no less than 10 nose bleeds
-Taking Benadryl just to be able to fall asleep no less than seven times

About a month ago I caved in to my husband's insistance that I purchase and use a sinus rinse.  I've avoided those things for years.  I have friends who use the Neti Pot.  I've heard stories.  And I just could not fathom that pouring liquid up my nose into my already over-populated sinus cavities could possibly produce any favorable results.

Au contraire, self.  Au contraire.  My whole childhood I was prone to sinus infections.  By the time I was 15, I had already had more than one surgery to correct the issue.  Since then, I've not had a sinus infection, but mostly because we were paranoid and took swift action any time I had a stuffy nose.  But in the past 2 months, my problem has grown to definite sinus infection possibility.  Enter sinus rinse (haha).  For someone who is currently on the market for health insurance, this sinus rinse has been phenomenal in "self-medicating".  I no longer have pounding sinus pressure in my face.  I can breathe.  And TASTE things.

I've been using the hypertonic solution (aka two packets per 8 oz. solution instead of just one) one to two times a day.  It's every bit as gross as I've heard, and possibly more*.  But it's worked.  So here's to the Neil Med sinus rinse people.


*When I blow my nose, the solution and snot bubbles out my left EYE.  Don't ask me how I know it's snot.  Take my word for it.  Because I don't think you want to enhance that mental image.  Like I said.  Sinus surgeries.

Comments

wow, that is gross. So sorry you've been so sick, but with the stress you've had, it really isn't surprising, is it? Glad you found the sinus rinse. Luke used that for a while and it grossed me out but it totally works!

PS- if you need health insurance, let me put in a plug for www.samaritanministries.org I just paid for a minor surgery this way, I'll tell you more if you're interested ;)

Popular Posts