Half the Sky



I've just finished reading Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn.

Guys.  My heart is heavy.  Burdened.

This book opened my eyes to things going on in our world - things that we never even imagined, here in America, all safe and comfortable in our plush homes, surrounded by our rights and freedoms.

Human trafficking.
Sex trafficking.
Child prostitution.
Slavery.
Gruesomely violent rapes.
Honor killings.
High maternal mortality rates.
Neglect.
"Gendercide".

More than ever before, I am so thankful for a government that cares for its people.  Women and children have rights.  They have protection.  They are valued.  WE are valued.

We have access to health care.  Doctors.  Medicines.  Vaccinations.

We have clean water.  Education.  Food.  Shelter.

I have a loving husband who cares about me in every way.  He cares about who I am as a person and values my thoughts, opinions, and feelings.  He cares about my health.  I am important to him.  I am of value.  I am of worth.

As I read this book, my heart broke.  I was shocked.  Appalled.  Then I was outraged.  Filled with grief.  I read of girls sold into prostitution and the sex trade by their own parents.  Girls who were manipulated into slavery.  Baby girls neglected and often murdered by their parents, who would rather have boys, believing them to be more profitable - more valuable.  Women who were beaten, mutilated, and burned BY THEIR FAMILIES for being raped, as if they were the ones who did something wrong.

And yet, amid the stories of heartbreak and desolation, there were glimmers of hope.  Many men and women have risen above social and cultural stigmas and taboos to make a difference.  Yet it is not enough.

AMERICAWake up.  Open your eyes.  Please.

Proverbs 28:27
Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing. But a curse will come upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

I'm a pretty passionate person in general.  And you know what?  I'm really passionate about this.  And I believe the Lord is, too.  I'll be writing many more posts related to human rights, the poor, and the oppressed.  I'm asking, begging you to join me in this.  Do the hard thing.  Read the unpleasant stories.  Really think about it.  Pray about it.

I know God gives us each different passions and talents.  Upon reading and learning more about the issues we face with poverty and oppression, you may feel led to reach out to the homeless in your community.  You may be filled with the desire to help orphans, widows, and the elderly.  Awesome.  Great.  Do it.  You don't have to only be moved or be passionate about the specific issues I am highlighting.  My hope is simply that you will open your eyes, open your heart, and make a differenceBecause you can.

Comments

Kari said…
GO Lauren!! Take up the cause! I love it :-) (and I need to read that book.)
I know about some of these things from my involvement with Compassion International (www.compassion.com). You might be interested in their Child Survival Program where they help pregnant mothers who otherwise would probably lose their babies (some have HIV, etc. and little or no family support). Also check out www.mercyhousekenya.org for some cool stuff. And Tom Davis, the CEO of Children's HopeChest (www.hopechest.org) has a passion for victims of sex trafficking, I've learned a lot from him and his work. Scary, sad stuff, but there ARE things being done and we all can help much more than we realize, instead of being overwhelmed and doing nothing.
Oh and Compassion also does stuff with clean water projects (as does World Vision. Compassion is just ramping theirs up lately, a new push). My other favorite water project is Charity:Water. They do so much to help with this issue too. It seems so strange to us that something as simple as water would be such an issue for women and children around the world, but it truly is!

Popular Posts