Dental Drama

A few of you might recall that in December I received news of my first ever cavity (you can read about that here).  Because my mother is my dental hygienist, she is the one who broke the news to me, and her choice words were, "Lauren, I have some bad news."  So you would think that when my mom sat down next to me last night and said, "I have some bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad news," I might have picked up on the similarities and guessed what her bad news was.  But I didn't (it's been a while) so she just told me.  I have another cavity.

(o_0)  <---You see that?  That's how my eye twitched when I heard the word "cavity".

Guys, I take really good care of my teeth.  I brush my teeth thoroughly, I floss meticulously, and I even use mouthwash every evening.  So I am a tad unsure as to how I acquired a second cavity.  Apparently it's really small and likely was ten years (roughly) in the making.

Later I admitted that I was a little bummed about the whole thing.  I mean, my mom is a dental hygienist for crying out loud!  My brother and I were raised with outstanding dental standards.  To not take care of your teeth is a sin worthy of punishments reserved for the worst of transgressors.

In my apparent need to make things dramatic* (because it's more interesting that way), I may or may not have compared getting another cavity to adultery.  Because it's like my teeth are no longer pure and pristine.  When the dentist filled my first cavity, she kept commenting as she worked.  "What a shame.  You had such beautiful teeth."  With how I felt after that, it's no wonder I likened cavities to adultery.

And now I'm less inclined to believe the subject of this post is dental hygiene, but rather my flair for the dramatic.  Meh.  Either way.

*Exhibit A: Paragraph 4, Line 3 of this post

Comments

Popular Posts