Toxic

I went to the doctor for a routine checkup about 2 weeks ago, and brought up the fact that I am thirsty.  I can see your forehead wrinkling in confusion.  Is my doctor one of those strange boutique, spa, serve-you-water-and-wine doctors?  Do those even exist??  Because why else would I mention to her that, "Hey!  I'm thirsty"?

Well, I mentioned it because sometimes I get so ridiculously desperate for water that I get panicky and nauseous.  I was concerned she would tell me I needed to be tested for Diabetes, but it's better to know and take care of something than ignore it and let the situation get worse, right?

The thing is, I'm not ridiculously desperately panicky nauseous thirsty all the time.  I don't wake up in the middle of the night to drink water.  When I'm teaching or at home (see: climate controlled, or air conditioned) I'm fine.  I notice it the most when I am outside and/or I get hot.  Then it's like an all-out drink or die feeling.  I mentioned this to her, and I learned that my problem is really quite simple and much easier to remedy than Diabetes.

You see, my all time favorite thing to drink ever is water.  I love the way it tastes, I love how it's so refreshing, and it's the most natural, pure substance (theoretically) that we put into our bodies.  I don't drink much soda, milk, alcohol, or juice.  I just drink a ton of water.  Apparently, though, I wasn't really doing myself any favors.  Because I can border on "water toxicity".  I drink a lot of water, go outside where it's hot (or workout) and I get sweaty, drink more water, and more water, and more water.  But that's apparently bad.  Because I'm losing electrolytes and I'm not replenishing them.

So my doctor's orders?  Drink Gatorade.  I don't really like Gatorade, and it's expensive (albeit much cheaper than treating Diabetes).  But alas, it's either that or nausea and desperation.  I don't really know where else to find electrolytes (other than Clif Shot Bloks, which are like tasty electrolyte gummy candies but also very expensive.  But I also haven't looked it up).

So this is the reason why I don't regret that crazy expensive souvenir bottle at Six Flags the other day: they have POWERADE.  99 cents for a huge thing of Powerade is not a bad deal, especially since I'm not allowed to take outside drinks into the park and I apparently need it.  We drank three whole giant souvenir bottle-fulls of blue Powerade on Sunday.  And not once did I feel nauseous, desperate, or panicky.  Score.

Comments

That's actually really interesting and good to know! I'm a water freak too. But it's not hot here and I rarely exercise so I guess I don't lose too many electrolytes ;) I did find some new flavors of Gatorade at the store last week that sparked my interest for some reason. Some of them aren't so bad! (the ones my mom has been buying for my kids though-- yes, very gross).
Kelly said…
Drink Smart water....it's water, but it has electrolytes! SCORE!

Popular Posts