Job Searching

You know, this whole job search thing is tiring.  And humbling.  And HARD.  See, I found a great job for the remainder of the Spring.  I love subbing at this Christian school.  But that job won't continue through the summer.  And truthfully, it's not going to make ends meet in the fall, either.  Not alone, that is.

See, right now I kinda feel like my career of choice is going down the drain.  What with budget woes and whatnot, most districts are looking to cut costs.  They are not looking to raise costs by hiring and paying more teachers such as yours truly.  Nope, not at all.

Even so, I am playing by the rules and subbing when I can.  This will hopefully show districts, schools, principals (aka the powers that be) that I am serious about teaching and that I'm making an effort.  Because if I wasn't?  My slim-to-none chances would simply be none.  And I really AM serious about teaching.  I WANT to teach.

But here's where it gets complicated.  Subbing isn't going to last me but another month or so, which means I must find another job for the summer.  (Which, in and of itself is embarrassing to me.  I've never had a summer job, even in high school.  I just had a job.  Like, all the time.)  And it's likely that I will need to find yet another job when summer ends.  I would really like to feel more like the responsible-college-graduate-married-adult-in-her-mid-twenties THAT I AM and have a solid JOB.

So today I spent 2 hours driving around the area of town that I am hoping to work in.  I wrote down every conceivable business and/or company that I might possibly want to work for for (at least) the next 3 months.  Once I get that monster of a list organized, I'm going to start calling places.  I'm saving that for tomorrow.

But what I want to know is why the heck isn't this easier?  It's frustrating for me because Matt didn't have to search and apply and interview x 1,000 to get his job.  It was as simple as a man at church heard that Matt needed a job and then after speaking with him once, offered him that job.  It was a total God thing, I know that.  But where's my miracle job?  When is He going to provide a means for us to move into our own place already?

I guess a big contributer to the difficulty of the situation is that I'm not a single high school or college student looking for a job.  This time I'm married, and I want time with my husband.  I want to have similar hours to my husband, who works a fairly normal work week.  We've been in the opposite schedules boat before and it's just not good.  But not many people are looking to hire full time, "normal" work week for just the summer.

I guess we'll see what happens when I use up all my cell phone minutes tomorrow.

Comments

I can kinda relate to how you feel. When I was expecting Winter, I got a job at an Old Navy store to help make ends meet while Luke was in school. I was a mid-twenties college grad, married, with kids, and I could only find work at a retail store with a bunch of 18 year olds, getting paid just $7/hour (that's not even minimum wage now!), I hated it. But, you do what you gotta do. The plus side was that Luke began to dress better and has stuck with that ever since ;) Anyway, I'm sure you WILL find a job, just maybe not as fast or as perfect as you'd like, but something that will work for a while and that you can learn from in the meantime (or at least get some good blog fodder from) :)

Popular Posts