Jalapeno Facial

Have you ever had one? I wouldn't recommend it.

I helped make dinner tonight - fancy hamburgers. We had the works - grilled bell peppers and onions, sauteed mushrooms, provolone cheese, queso, bacon, avocado...and grilled jalapeno peppers, to name a few. My job for the evening? Cutting all those delicious (and not so delicious (mushrooms! sick!)) veggies.

I was awesome. I was like Samurai Mince-a-Lot! Trained by monks in Japan, I have perfected the art of samurai kitchen finesse. (OK, so that last part is a total lie...)
I was totally cranking out the vegetables!

Then I got to the jalapenos. I don't mind jalapenos. In fact, I often enjoy eating them! But as I tired, my samurai mind wandered, and I stopped paying as much attention to what I was doing. I rubbed my nose. It caught on fire.

30 minutes later, after multiple hand rinsings and an avocado hand treatment (read - slicing 3 large avocados - one of which was not at all cooperative), I rubbed my eye. I think a volcano erupted in my cornea.

Then another 30 minutes later - after dinner, mind you - I licked my finger to get something off it (ice cream? I don't remember), and spontaneous combustion occurred in both my lips and the tip of my tongue. I remembered immediately that it was the exact finger I had used to "gut" the jalapenos. Nevermind that I had rinsed my hands multiples times AND eaten dinner (with my hands) and had no problems there!

Suffice it to say, I left the kitchen feeling as if nothing short of my face being covered by ice cubes (Sonic ice, preferably) would remedy the situation. Thankfully, here I sit a good 4 hours later and the only thing that still burns is my eyes. Or maybe that's because I'm exhausted?

Comments

Kari said…
ouch! Maybe invest in some gloves :-p BTW, I like to read your blog!

Popular Posts