There's No Place Like Home

I wasn't planning on writing about this today - I had something else in mind.  However, I'm really struggling.  I'm struggling because for over half of our marriage, Matt and I have lived with my parents.  I never thought it would take so long for us to find jobs and move on.  A month or two, sure.  But this long?  No.

Each time I walk through my parents' garage, my heart gets a little heavier.  I see all of our belongings in bins, boxes, and trash bags collecting dust.

When will we get to sleep on our bed again?  And our curtains - when will I get to wake up to the morning sun streaming through those curtains again?  I loved the way they turned the sunlight a rosy pink-orange color as it illuminated our room.

I love the comforter and the pillows.  They remind me of springtime in the European countryside.  Unfortunately, right now they sit inside a trash bag buried in the garage.  And our bed - I love the frame.  Plus, it doesn't squeak every time you breathe.  The one we sleep in right now does.

When will we get to see this guy again?

It's a beast to dust, but I miss it.

And then there's our kitchen things.  I miss those.  I miss having nice nonstick cookware and stacking cooling racks.  I even miss my towels.

I loved this kitchen, too.  So beautifully new.

I miss our little house.  I was so excited to take it and make it ours.  I loved decorating it and arranging it so that it fit us perfectly.  How long had I looked forward to taking a blank canvas home and splashing touches of Matt and Lauren all over it?  I even loved cleaning it because it was OURS.  And I don't know when we'll have our own place again.

I know we could have nowhere to stay and we could have to pay lots of money to keep our things safely stored.  I know that our problems could be so much worse.  Really.  But today I'm missing our first home, and we won't ever have a first home again.  And our "first home" experience was marred by it being traumatically ripped away from us.

Here's hoping we find another home soon.

Comments

You are allowed to hurt over this, good for you for letting it out once and a while. I can't imagine what it's like. I don't really like "my stuff" and prefer to be not in my own home because here the cleaning is all up to me, ha ha! BUT I can't imagine living with people, even if you love them, for that long. Big hugs.
Kari said…
I know what it's like to love your first home, even cleaning it, and I am so sorry that it was taken away from you. I'm praying you get a job soon.

Popular Posts