Why Second Grade Totally OWNS Kindergarten, OR, My Re-Entrance Into Classroom Teaching

credit
 This week was my first time to actually go to work since Matt and I lost our jobs in December.  Can you believe it took almost four months?  I can't.  I refuse.

Unfortunately, I "chose" the worst possible time to make my re-entrance into the world of academia.  The state is in a gaping black hole of debt and as a result, school districts (as well as public and civil services) are facing massive budget cuts.  Massive budget cuts = layoffs and no new hires.  Happy job hunting to me, right?

Thankfully private schools do not operate on government money and (at least one of them) still hire substitutes this late into the school year.  So on Monday morning, I waltzed into a kindergarten classroom ready to take over the world!  Actually, it was more like I panicked all weekend long and when the little childrens walked into the classroom at 7:45 AM Monday morning, I just prayed things would go smoothly because I had no clue how to teach kindergarten.  I felt silly for being terrified by six year olds, but hey, it was uncharted territory (read: NOT middle school).

It went well, and I went back on Tuesday to sub for that class again.  They are cute and sweet, but goodness!  They tattle and cry and tattle and whine and tattle.  Most of them do not have a shred of independence...and did I mention they tattle?  So kinder = cute and sweet, but I'm not cut out to teach them long term (again, read: middle school).

Yesterday I wasn't planning on going in to sub at all.  As far as I knew, I wasn't needed.  So I spent the morning relaxing and taking my time - that is, until I got a call at 8:15 saying that a scheduled sub ended up not coming in after all, and could I be there asap?  I was there within an hour and subbed for a second grade class, and I have to say - MUCH easier than kinder.  It's absolutely crazy how much of a difference those two years make.  Like, they can tie their own shoes.  They tattle less.  And good gracious, they can do work independently!  Wednesday.was.awesome.

I still don't think I'm cut out to teach the younger grades long term - I really thrive in a 5th or 6th grade classroom.  But I'm enjoying trying new things and expanding my horizons.  Plus, I usually have funny stories at the end of the day.

Comments

I hear you! Try parenting a 5 or 6 year old, and then a 2nd grader. Jesse turns 8 tomorrow. huge WORLD of difference in him since kindergarten or even just last year. Wow. It's so encouraging and exciting to have a little bit bigger kid now. I can totally relate to what you're saying!

Congrats on the work, too ;)

Popular Posts