overdue new years blog!

well, it came and went like a flash of lightnin, eh? it is hard to believe that 2008 is over. 2009 just seems like such a weird year to me already. weird number...weird year.

this year started off somewhat similar to the way last year started off - i went to camp eagle for the second new years party/staff reunion. it was so great! i was surrounded by tons of people i love who made every second of every day immensely entertaining. new years eve (the day of), i went spelunking with a group of friends...we explored 2 caves on camp property. it was incredible! the first cave looked like a hole in the ground - you just dropped into the darkness, and you were in a large room underground! it was so great! the second cave had an entrance that looked like a crack in the ground - once you slid through, you had to crawl through the first room, and then army crawl across sharp rocks to get to the end of the insanely long tunnel! that cave was even more exciting than the first for several reasons: only 4 of us went in, which was good since a lot of people in such a flat space would be ridiculous! we got to see 5 little baby bats - SO STINKING CUTE! once we got to the end of the cave, we were going to crawl the remaining 10 feet to touch the far wall (as if to say, "ha! we did it!"), and the girl in front of me (sara) saw 3 pairs of yellow eyes glowing out at us from the darkness. sooooo....we crawled as fast as we could across the razor sharp rocks and through the insanely tight spaces to make it back out alive! can i just say i love exploring caves?

for the last hour or so of 2008, i played shuffle board, foosball, and watched some of my other friends play mario kart on the wii, pool, and air hockey. everyone was insanely excited whenit was finally 2009! still so hard to wrap my head around this one...

then on new years day, we started the year off with a bang! well, not really a bang, but there were lots of crashing noises for sure! you see, camp recently bought some mountain boards, and a handfull of us decided OH MY GOSH THAT SOUNDS SO FUN WE HAVE TO TRY IT! it was ridiculously fun, exhilirating, fast, and dangerous - all excellent things that make for a really fun day! pretty much everyone that tried it crashed and burned a few times, but it was excellent! mark fell and got massive strawberries all over his back, elbows, and then hurt his wrist. i fell several times, but not as badly as he did! it was not the wisest idea to participate because 1) i am accident and injury prone, and 2) i lose insurance in less than a week. but how could i say no?! luckily, when i fell, i only got pretty bruised. i have bruises up and down my legs, my elbows are shredded and bruised, i have a MASSIVE bruise on my left thigh that is all swollen, and i hurt my back on one of the falls. however, nothing serious enough to see a doctor about! (and as a precaution, i wore a hoodie and jeans, so my injuries were sustained THROUGH clothing, not due to a lack of) :) praise Jesus! He let me have my cake and eat it, too in this case ;) to close off the day, i went bouldering and then did the sherpa trek and belayed for the power pole. such an excellent start to the new year!

i didn't think it would be possible to top last year. i mean, catching a live fish with your bare hands is something to get pretty darn excited about! but this year's accomplishments and adventures are already more fun!

hilights from 2008:
1) turned 22 (my favorite number is 2, and there are 2 2's in this year!)
2) lived with one of my best friends
3) had probably one of my best semesters in college ever
4) went to Mexico on a mission trip - first time to Mexico!
5) took a class over the summer and ACED it!
6) moved away from college station forever
7) spent 2 weeks in colorado with my best friend helping her prepare for her wedding...and went to my first drive-in movie!
8) my best friend got married!
9) student teaching
10) graduated from college!

God is so good...i got to do things that i never thought i would do! He provided for me so that i never had to go without something i truly needed. He taught me so many lessons about so many things. He remains faithful in good and in bad times. He has a plan for me, and all i have to do is seek and follow His will. 2009 is filled with so many uncertainties for me. i truly cannot see anything in front of me - each step must be a step of faith. i have no clue where i will be working, where i will be living, how i will be serving. no clue about anything. and that is hard. it's also exciting. but mostly hard ;) however, i know i serve a God who has a plan for me, no matter how limited my sight is or how bad i am at trusting Him! so thankful!

also, here is a picture of my massive bruise on my leg. keep in mind that it is still swollen! woo!

Comments

Popular Posts