On how this past week was like a movie

Ok. So. This is one of those stories where I can try and try and try to exactly get the point across to you just how ridiculous my week was and you will never fully get it...but I am going to try anyway (so it will be lengthy). Because this week has been so ridiculous, it seems more like a plot for a comedy rather than my actual life.

Last week kicked off with a killer Monday. I had a school group coming out for 3 days, and Anne had another school group coming out (at the same time) for 4 days. However, instead of me staying around camp and actually hosting my group like I am supposed to (and like I would like to), I drove into Kerrville to see the doctor. Because Oh My Gosh my throat hurt. I mean, I felt like I had tried to swallow hell. So I go into the doctor, find out I don't have mono (good) but do have strep (bad). They prescribe me some drugs and after hitting up HEB and buying popsicles, ice cream, pudding, and soup, I head home.

Matt comes by to take care of me and make sure that I get my rest (not my strong point) Monday evening and all of Tuesday. He is wonderful. He makes all my meals. Watches whatever movie I want. Takes care of my every need. But I still feel horrible. And I still just really want to be able to spend time with my group and take care of them while they are here!

I make it into work Wednesday morning just in time to see my group leave ("Hi. I'm Lauren. Sorry I haven't seen you the whole time you were here. Oh, you're leaving right now? Ok, bye!").

Thursday morning I wake up and go straight to the kitchen where I learn that the water pipe busted during the night and main camp has no water (thank goodness I didn't try to shower). And lots of kids and staff are sick with some weird stomach bug that causes some pretty serious diarrhea. And there is no water. So toilets can't be flushed. We get buckets of water from the pool so that people can flush their toilets. You know. Because diarrhea is gross.

We get water back. We then learn that the water might be what is causing the stomach yuck. What with all the rain and flooding here recently, some nasties may have washed into our well. Awesome.

10:30 rolls around and I am sitting in my office when a fellow staff member walks in, looks at me, and says, "You and Emily know you have to be moved out of your apartments and into your new house by dinner today, right?" No. NO. I had no idea! I knew it was going to hopefully be sometime soon, but now? Right now? Today? By dinner? Nope, no one told me. Is this a joke? No, it's for real? Ok. Haha...!!

Have you ever been told you have to be completely moved out of your house and into a new house in less than 8 hours? And have your old house clean? Spotless? Me either, until Thursday. I must admit I actually thought it was pretty funny. I mean how else can you deal with a situation like that? You can either get really mad and frustrated at something you can't change...or you can think it is hilarious. The latter sounded like a much better option to me and everyone else at camp.

We take the first truck load of stuff up to the house and run into one of the Amigos (the guys building all the houses) who says, "You aren't bringing all that stuff up here to move into this house today, are you?" Yes. We are, actually. You see, we were told this morning that we have to be moved into this house by tonight. To which he replies, "Oh no..." and then starts talking rapidly in Spanish, rushes into the house, and starts talking to the other Amigos.

Getting funnier, right? (Did I mention that this whole time it is drizzling??)

We then have to return the truck to Meredith so she can drive into town and gather produce for the weekend.

And did I mention the other (not my) school group has not left yet (or that my uncle and second cousin were 2 people in attendance)? Their bus is late. Like an hour late. Funny! And the retreat we have this weekend is a men's retreat. Some men show up (a day) early and are walking around camp smoking cigars...before the 6th grade Lutheran kiddos leave!

Finally their bus arrives, gets stuck in the circle drive (oh how to not hit all the rocks?!?!), and eventually makes it out in 20somethingish minutes. And we find a vehicle that should suffice to move the rest of my stuff (when did camp get this vehicle? We rebuilt the engine? The stick came out while driving it last week? Cool, hope it works!). At this point there are 6 staff helping us move. When a small SUV is packed with your stuff, only 2 people fit in (the front seats of course)! So we had 4 people hanging on to the OUTSIDE of the vehicle as we drove treacherous dirt roads to my house. And one of the people hanging onto the outside of the vehicle was pregnant Erin! What the heck was she doing out there?!!

Somehow, by the grace of God (and lots of help from our friends), Emily and I were moved into our new house by 3 pm (and when I say moved in, I mean all our boxes were taken into the house and quickly placed on the floor wherever was most convenient at the time). And then we got to go clean all of camp! Yay! And then cook dinner for the 40-some-odd men who came early (we knew they were coming though).

I have spent the past few days feeling so disoriented. I didn't know where any of my stuff was. I mean, I knew it was at the house, but what box or bag did I throw it into?

It is now Saturday and we are just now moved in enough to be able to sleep (on the bed I borrowed from friends today) in the house. I am looking forward to it. Wait. Did I tell you that I don't have any furniture? Oh, well I don't! See, I have been living in the Cowboy apartment which is fully furnished. So I don't have ANY furniture. No dresser for my clothes. No bedside table. No couch. No chairs. No table. One bookshelf.

Looks like I am going furniture shopping sometime soon!

Like I said, crazy week. Ridiculous. It might not actually sound that funny when you read it, but I promise it was. It would truly make for a good comedy (I think the visuals and the irony help out a LOT). I truly did try to convey with accuracy what has transpired the past 5ish days (and mostly Thursday), but I know it's probably one of those had-to-be-there things.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You poor dear!
I feel like you have accurately conveyed the best decison making process one could take when being faced with Murphy's Law.
Bravo my dear! If you didn't live so far away I'd offer furniture ;-)
katieface said…
oh LA it sounds like a week at camp. glad that you found the laughter!
Zack the Emperor said…
Nice. The first 2 months I lived at camp I slept on Jason's couch.
Oh my goodness...this is hilarious!! Thank you for sharing :-) hahaa...

Popular Posts