Not a Photographer

I used to take pictures all the time.  I was notorious for always having a camera, always taking it everywhere, and always taking pictures of everything and everyone.  I scrapbooked.  I organized.  When things went digital, I uber-organized all my photo files on my computer, and scrolled through them often.

And as I sit here and think about my history with capturing memories via photos, I realize that it really was not so long ago that I went from obsessive picture taker to never picture taker.  In fact, I can pinpoint it to right before Matt and I moved here.  Things stopped being so capture-worthy, and then our camera stopped being camera-worthy (read: it died).  I think the greatest contributing factor would be the untimely death of our camera.  Because I got out of the habit of taking pictures.  I got into the mindset that I didn't have a device to take pictures on.  I know, I know.  We live in the age of smart phones(!) with superior cameras(!!) and Instagram(!!!) and blah, blah, blah.  But I'm still not used to the notion of taking pictures with my phone all that often.  (And really, I've only had a smart phone for 4 months now.)

For that very reason, I was all excited about giving the Photo a Day Challenge a shot.  In May I was still way too busy to think about anything superfluous (fun word!), but when June rolled around I was ready!  At least I thought.  I forget most days to take a picture.  In fact, most days I forget to even check what I am supposed to be taking a picture of.  And then if I do take a picture, I often delete it or don't share it.  For a few days I did alright and shared my photos on Facebook, and then I realized that I just felt awkward posting those photos like that.  Just one random photo a day is apparently not my style.

So I've been thinking.  I really like a lot of the prompts for photos on the PAD Challenge.  So I think I'll try to take the photos, and then recap here on my blog.  I feel like that is a lot less awkward and it allows me to elaborate a bit.  What I took a picture of, why, what it means, etc.  And this way, if I ever want to look back at my blog and reminisce about the past, I have a better, more detailed record.

We'll see if this plan actually pans out.

Comments

Popular Posts