Why I Don't Read Anymore

Well, I bet this is a little confusing since I just posted about how much I love books and I love reading, and I even wrote my first book review on my blog!

Life has been so crazy lately and some things have been brought to my attention that really need some serious prayer. First of all, prayer is not my strong point. That's not really a good thing, but it's true. I get all ADD and in the middle of my prayer I find myself thinking about cheesecake. I don't even know! But I do know that in the recent past, I have not made much of an effort to improve.

I also realized that my quiet times each morning were just not enough. I was giving the Lord *maybe* 15-20 minutes of my time to work in my life. And that was just reading and saying a quick prayer. I wasn't digging and I wasn't really devoted. So I have been convicted about getting up earlier and spending more time in the Word and in prayer before I start my day. So far, it has been excellent!

So are you wondering what all this has to do with me not readying anymore, yet? I guess I can tell you now. I knew that I was being called to fast and pray over certain matters, but I wasn't sure what I was supposed to fast from. Sugar? No, I can't fast from sugar! I feel like I would have a total double-motive for doing that...I mean, I need to get away from that stuff anyway!

I was having a hard time thinking of something to fast from, and then it hit me! I am supposed to fast from reading books for enjoyment (this excludes the Bible and devotional books, etc.). That was hard for me. I don't want to not read books. I have always had a book to read ever since I was a kid. I don't like not reading! I am (was) in the middle of the Percy Jackson series - I was in the 3rd book (of 4) with less than 50 pages to go! Surely God doesn't want me to fast from reading until after I finish these books, right?? So wrong. I mean, what does that attitude say about what I think about the things I know I am called to fast and pray for?? So looking at it from that viewpoint, I have indefinitely stopped reading for pleasure.

I don't know when I will start reading again. I don't know if it will be before these things are resolved or not. I will have to keep praying about that, as well.

So for now, instead of reading, I pray. When I think about books or how much I want to read (WOW I sound like a nerd!), I remember why I am not reading. And then I pray for it more.

The reason I share is not so that I can boast about fasting (after all, it's not like it was my idea...totally can't take the credit for things God does), but so that you can pray for me. I need prayer. I'm sure you need prayer, too. So if you think of something you want me to pray for in this time of fasting and prayer, let me know and I will add it to the list! :)

Comments

Ken Dawson said…
LA - that is amazing honesty and it hits home for me too... way to be real and not afraid to throw it out there, God loves that, and your heart to change, I will be praying for that too!
Reba said…
You should read (after your done with your fast!) Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner. She's an amazing writer who has written lots of Christian books. She's real smart and this book actually chronicles her conversion from Judaism to Christianity. BUT, in the middle somewhere, she realizes that she has made a god out of books, so she fasts. And it's super hard. But I tend to do the same thing. Maybe I should try that too!
-Reba

Popular Posts