Life...recently

Lame title, I know. I don't think I should have to come up with titles. It's worse than coming up with a title for a paper.

Anyway, last week we had some campers here from a school for kids with learning differences. In order to prepare for the group, we watched this. Seriously, I think it was the best preparation we could have had. Most of the kids that were here could be his clones. It was HILARIOUS. Don't get me wrong, though! I totally loved every minute of it and they were wonderful kids! It was a really good couple of days!

After the fabulous flock of Freds left on Friday, Matt and I headed out to YO for the weekend. We cooked some incredibly delicious chicken alfredo (from scratch, including the sauce!), and then watched our favorite show, NCIS. I saw his house for the first time, and immediately panicked because OH MY GOSH what kind of germs and diseases and alien creatures have been living and multiplying in this house before you got here (and continue to do so as we stand here)?!!!?? We had to put a sheet over the chairs before I would even sit on them to watch a movie. I mean, who knows what kind of things are on those things? Or what kind of little strange life-forms live within the fibers of the upholstery??! Matt also labeled me as a germophobe.*

Saturday was great - we met my mom in Kerrville for lunch and then ran some errands, which included picking up roughly $683 billion worth of cleaning supplies (YAY!), Matt getting his first cell phone ever (iphone!), and getting drinks at Sonic before heading back to YO. And I must say, I cherished that strawberry slush from Sonic, because it was my last until April. In fact, upon arriving back to camp, I have simply eaten rice and beans.

For the entire month of March, I will eat primarily rice and beans (different varieties, and some veggies mixed in...some...and maybe a piece of fruit or two).

Why, you ask? The best explanation can be pulled from their website:

We are choosing to take on this challenge for the following reasons:

  1. SOLIDARITY: We are standing with our brothers and sisters in East Africa who live on limited incomes and who can only afford simple meals like Rice & Beans.
  2. SIMPLICITY: Those of us who live in wealthier nations often eat for pleasure and eat in excess. We are going to eat a nutritious and simple meal to give up on wasteful consumption.
  3. SHARING: We choose to simplify and stand in solidarity in order to share with our brothers and sisters. We are asking you to look at your food budget for the month and give whatever you would have spent on your food for that month to the kids living in our East Africa partnerships.
I am pretty excited about it, but I know it will be challenging. I mean, the first night, I dreamt of pork chops! I am excited about what I will learn and how I will be challenged. I am excited about what God is going to teach me through this, and how He is going to use it to change things in me both now and later. If you are interested and want to learn more, check out their website.

On that note, I have just finished my yoga workout for the day, and I am going to go cook my rice and beans for dinner before heading off to Bible study!



*Matt: "You are a total germophobe."
Me: "Only with certain things!!!"
Matt: "Like germs?"
Me. "......"

Comments

Jessica said…
Sounds like things are going good for you, Lauren. I'm so glad! I miss you calling me Gummy Bear and all of our fun adventures. :( Love ya!

Popular Posts