April in a Flash

It seems like it was just spring break, and here we are at the end of April!  For my small private school, there is now less than one month of classes left, and students and teachers alike are eager for the reprieve that summer brings.  But we aren't done yet - four more busy weeks must pass before I have much time to blog again, so here is a brief look at my April:

-We had Easter at my cousin's house, as we always do.  It was a little different this year, because one of her daughters happens to be one of my students, and I felt bad for the kid that she had to see me on a school holiday.  It went fine, though.  And I made the decision that I was going to eat all the food available, despite my FructMal problem.  I want to participate in things and be a part of things!  You know?  I knew I would pay the price, and I did.  I was in so much pain that I couldn't move for 4 hours.  But I think it was worth it!?

-I subbed in a second grade classroom at the end of the day when my classes were over.  I already knew many of the students from when I subbed in their first grade glass last year.  As I subbed in their class this time around, I felt so different from the teacher I was last year.  It occurred to me that I really have come such a long way in just one year.  I know I don't have it all figured out - not by a long shot!  But it's nice to know that there has been growth and progress.

-I gained two new students, and will be getting another new one tomorrow.

-I accompanied 40ish 7th graders on a field trip to Houston.  In the span of three days, we visited the Health Museum, Museum of Natural Science, NASA (twice!), Battleship Texas, San Jacinto Monument, and George Ranch Historical Park.  We also ate at Rainforest Cafe, which I had never been to before.  It was fun!  Oh, and we visited Bucees.  I'd also never been there before, but when you can't really eat anything they sell, it isn't that fun.

-The field trip was also a really interesting experience for me because of my diet restrictions.  I had to pre-pack a bag of food for the trip the night before.  Many of the places we ate (like at the museums or the ranch) did not offer any dishes that I could eat without getting sick, so many of my meals consisted of a rice cake with cheese, some almonds, a boiled egg, and my special gluten free, sugar free bread.  I also took my special gluten free steel cut oatmeal for breakfast in the mornings and had the hostess at the hotel heat it up in a microwave.  Absolutely not the most glamorous way to travel, but it's my new reality.  Vacations are going to be an interesting experience for our family, I think.

Like I said, once school is out, I'm assuming I'll have more time to blog.  Sorry I've been so touch and go - first year teaching is an all-consuming job.  Four weeks until summer!

Comments

Popular Posts