My New Best Friend

I was given her phone number by multiple people, thinking we would get along just great.

I checked her out on the internet, and then finally plucked up the courage to make first contact.

Her name is Linda, and as of this morning, she is my nutritionist and my new bff.

I don't normally get all in a tizzy over going to a health-related appointment.  But this was different.  This appointment held the promise of more variety in my diet and a healthier and happier me soon to follow.  So I was counting down the days.

Linda was fantastic.  She sat with me for two whole hours and we talked about my diagnosis and what it will mean for me, pretty much for the rest of my life.  She has done a great amount of research on Fructose Malabsorption and compiled all her research into a nifty packet for me to take home!  Guys, this packet is amazing.  It's the packet of dietary freedom.  It's a packet of answers to all my questions, and I feel so relieved to have ANSWERS.  She talked me through the whole packet, step by step, and answered every question I could fire her way.

Gone are the days of only eating meat, rice, and dairy.  I can eat some vegetables!  I can eat some fruits!  I still have to be pretty careful, and I can only have things in small amounts.  But!  Still!  Better!

This weekend I also made a fantastical, magical, WONDERFUL discovery!  Not only are Sweettarts like medicine to me (because dextrose=maltodextrin=glucose=helps my body cope), but so are Pixie Sticks!  Fun Dip!  Bottlecaps!  Basically any Wonka candy that doesn't have corn starch or corn syrup listed as an ingredient is GOOD for me (aside from the whole tooth rotting thing...).  I always knew I liked that Wonka guy.  I've been munching on Bottle Caps like my nine year old self used to do.  Turns out my twenty-something year old self loves them just as much, if not more, than my nine year old self did.

I still understand that my eating habits will be changed permanently.  But my diet has been so strict for the past three weeks, right now it almost seems like the possibilities are endless!  I'm going to eat cauliflower tonight!  I think some days will be harder than others, but I'm okay with that.  And I have my new bff Linda to help me out along the way. (Did I mention she has a support group for people with my condition?  She does!  They share recipes and lots of great info.  Best thing is?  There is a meeting tomorrow evening.)

Comments

glad you have someone to help you find your way through this, and that you can have other sugars (I saw they actually can balance out the one you can't have?), that's good news that you can still find a variety of foods to enjoy. I am still wondering about this because it sounds so much like what I suffered from a few years ago, but I got better and it seems you don't get better from this? So who knows what I had, I guess.

Popular Posts