New Year's Reflections

Last night, Matt and I rung in the New Year, but barely just.  We were so tired that we almost didn't make it until midnight, but thanks to words with friends, we were able to push on ;)

Because it is New Year's Day, Facebook, Twitter, and the blogosphere are filled with hopeful thoughts for the coming year, and pensive reflections on the past year.  I'm going to attempt to jump on this bandwagon because I think it would be good for me.  I think it would be good to reflect on the past year and define my hopes for this next year.    So without further adieu, let the reflections begin!

Winter 2011 (the beginning):
-Matt and I had just lost our jobs, our home, and our community.  We moved in with my parents and were clueless as to what was next for us - we hadn't planned on this.
-After days and days of job and house searching (which was ridiculous since we didn't even know where we were supposed to live), we fell into a pattern of playing the Wii all the time.
-We also developed the bad habit of staying up watching Food Network until midnight-thirty every night
-I started doing Zumba at out church
-Matt got involved with the men's ministry at our church
-God answered prayer and provided Matt with a job
-I began experimenting like never before in the kitchen

Spring 2011:
-Matt worked, and I felt like a stay at home wife
-I began writing actual letters to several friends, and a few of us actually still keep writing one another.  It's been absolutely wonderful!
-I began my journey of emotional, mental, and spiritual healing
-I read a lot of books and found a new author that I really liked.  The library right by my parents' house was a favorite haunt of mine
-Matt and I developed a taste for drinks at Sonic happy hour
-I applied to what seemed like hundreds of different jobs and went on only a few job interviews
-I began subbing at a private Christian school, teaching K-4 even though my certification (and preference) is middle school!
-We grew herbs in the backyard and used them in our cooking daily

Summer 2011:
-At a routine doctor's appointment, the doctor found something unusual and several tests ensued
-When the tests were filed with our insurance company, they refused to cover said treatments, claiming that they were for a pre-existing condition that I just chose not to tell them about.
-It was hot.  Really, really hot.
-I continued to apply for what seemed like hundreds of different jobs and went on a few interviews
-We spent most of our free time at Six Flags or at the neighborhood pool
-We went to a Middle Eastern wedding in Houston and stayed until 2:30 in the morning

Fall 2011:
-My subbing job at the private school turned into a permanent teaching job as the 7th and 8th grade Science teacher!
-Matt and I began taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University Class and adjusted our budget
-I was moved to more of a leadership role in the Zumba classes at my church
-We found an apartment and moved in!!
-We got to decorate for Christmas for the first time since we got married in 2010

You know, as I look back over 2011, I have no trouble remembering just how rough our year began.  I look at where we were this time last year and where we are now and I am so thankful for God's grace and mercy as He led us to this point.  I have no clue what 2012 holds for us.  But good or bad, I can say with 100% confidence that God will remain with us, blessing us in more ways than we can imagine or deserve.

Happy 2012, everyone!

Comments

Mom said…
Yes, that was quite a year! God is good.

Popular Posts